A little pumpkin butter with my pumpkin pie muffins? Don’t mind if I do. I love all things fall, so when the recipe for Pumpkin Pie Muffins came up on Ellie in My Belly I was pretty stoked. This muffin recipe is extremely easy. I like that there’s no butter, a reasonable amount of sugar, its high in Vitamin A, and less than 200 calories per muffin (nutrition label after recipe). I don’t like that its low in fiber which guarantees I’ll be hungry in less than 2 hours. Next time I make these I’ll add ground flax or something else to boost the nutritional benefits. Overall though, they are delicious. After eating two muffins in one day, I had to distribute the muffins at the office (unanimously liked). Thank you Oddball Oven Mitt for picking a yummy fall recipe and for hosting this week.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-grain pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon – increased to 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg used 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsulphered molasses didn’t have so replaced with part maple syrup, part agave
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk used 3/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds sprinkled with cranberries
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, molasses, oil and 1 egg until combined. Add the other egg and whisk well. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk just until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack.