Its been exactly a week after my appendix surgery. For the first few days I had no hunger cues like tummy rumblings or headaches because of the medication, and this was followed by my stomach shrinking and my meals becoming smaller. However, all things level out, right? Yesterday my appetite was back in full force. In fact, I felt like getting full was an unachievable feat. Lets do a little recap:

First came breakfast:

  • 1 5.3 ounce container of Oikos Vanilla Nonfat Yogurt
  • 1/2 cup of grapes
  • 1/2 cup of Nature’s Path Flakes
  • handful of Fiber One
  • 2 crushed walnuts
  • And a sprinkle of Agave

That’s a complete breakfast in my mind! Apparently, it wasn’t in my stomach’s because about 2.5 hours later I was crazy hungry. I thought I could do the trick with a few of TJ’s everything crackers and a blob of hummus

but I was wrong. My stomach accepted that as a 30 minute peace offering before getting down to the business of lunch. My fridge has a funny assortment of remains so don’t laugh at the compilation of food…I need to go shopping pronto.

  • 1 whole wheat toast with light laughing cow – pressed in george forman grill
  • 6 pretzels
  • Blob of Guacamole
  • Blob of Hummus
  • Veggies

After eating this hodge-podge, I wanted more. I had a huge granny smith apple and made myself take a nap (watch Las Vegas) to escape the appetite.

I did finally make it to the grocery store and they were having a sale on Fage yogurt – $1 per 5.3 ounce container. Awesome, that’s like 50% off so I picked up 10!

Around 4pm, I was hungry. Again. Starting to see a pattern? I created what may be the most delicious thing ever: took half of a very ripe banana and microwaved it until it caramelized (got the idea here) and spread the banana on a whole wheat waffle and sprinkled with walnuts. YUMMY. Its the kind of snack that would be hard to make at work, but great for at home.

Later in the evening I went out to dinner with my boyfriend. Its the first time I’ve done my hair and makeup since the surgery and it was to feel attractive, and like a girl.  Our dinner was, in short, amazing, but unfortunately, my camera did not make it to dinner.  We went to a wonderful BYOB Cyprus restaurant. I enjoyed a few chunks of homemade rye bread with tahini, fried halloumi cheese with tabbouleh, and then a whole durado fish. The fish was stuffed with thyme twigs and lemon. Heavenly.  Oh, and I drank half a bottle of wine.

I guess I’ve recovered and well enough to go to work on Monday. Thank goodness I get to enjoy a weekend without being laid up in bed.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!