I try to be as healthful as possible because that’s what makes me feel good. Here’s the philosophy I try to live by 95% of the time:
1. Make whole foods the staple of my diet – vegetables, fruit, whole grains, nuts, seeds, lean proteins.
- Whole foods in their natural state with as little processing as possible.
- Buy organic when I can afford to – dairy is always must, but something like a red pepper is simply out of my budget (usually $7.99lb!)
2. Do something active 6 out of 7 days
- 2-3 yoga classes
- running outside
- cardio at the gym while watching tv
- long bike rides
I also don’t own a car so that helps keep me moving…anything that I need from aluminum foil to yogurt, a walk or bike ride is required.
3. Minimal packaged foods – I try to stay away from foods that have ingredients to promote a longer shelf life. For snacks I enjoy homemade granola mixes, nuts, veggies, hummus, organic yogurt, almond butter, etc.
4. Stop when I am full and don’t eat when I am not hungry.
5. Limit dessert – dessert is for special occasions (sigh).
6. Limit alcohol. This one is SO HARD. I love wine! Sparling, red, white, I love it all. I try very hard to only have 1 or 2 social nights with drinks each week. Sparkling water is a trick I commonly lean on. It gives me the illusion that I am drinking something special.